How To Use a Ring Sling
by Beth Beaney, Executive Babywearing Consultant at LTBN
What is a Ring Sling?
Ring slings are great for newborns and babies, but can also be especially useful with older babies / toddlers who are at the 'up and down' stage, as it is very quick and easy to place baby in and out of the ring sling, and they fold up nice and neat so can be carried with you.
Here at LTBN HQ we really love ring slings and have done for many years, and we know that lots and lots of you love them too!
Ring slings are great for newborns and babies, but can also be especially useful with older babies / toddlers who are at the 'up and down' stage.
Here's what makes ring slings so great:
- Perfect for carrying a newborn.
- Lightweight, single layer carry.
- Fantastic option after a c-section birth.
- Awesome for up-and-down toddlers.
- Can be folded up teensy & carried in a bag.
Ring slings are the perfect sling for curious babies!
Not just for newborns, ring slings are a wonderful option for babies and toddlers who show a desire to engage with their world, and it lets them do it on their terms.
They can look around; take in everything you do; interact with their environment; read your facial cues and how you're interacting with others. Then when it all becomes too much, or they're just tired, they can snuggle in to you for a rest or a sleep.
Not everyone finds the ring sling love immediately - many parents think they will be a bit of a faff and difficult to use. Some own a ring sling and just can’t get it comfy. That’s where the Babywearing Specialists come in!
If you don’t yet see the attraction of ring slings or struggle with yours, don’t worry! We know the common issues such as getting the sling 'just right', and discomfort with the weight of the sling only on one shoulder, and we’re here to help. There are a few things to remember that will help you adjust your ring sling really nicely.
Step-by-Step Ring Sling Instructions
- Use the pouch to set the seat - some call it a perch, a rope, or a band - use it by setting it behind baby's knees, in a straight line from one knee to the other. This will help create that nice deep seat that you want.
- Only walk just enough fabric up baby’s back, i.e. only just enough to the bottom of baby's neck.
- When adjusting the fabric (either up baby's back or through the rings), always try to lift baby's weight - imagine you're doing the robot dance - your arm is bent at the elbow so that your forearm is in a horizontal line and parallel with baby's bottom. Supporting baby in this way will ease the pressure of the fabric in the rings of the sling, allowing it to be more easily adjusted.
- Always work any excess fabric from around your back towards the rings.
- Adjust the excess fabric through the rings in a horizontal motion - adjust in the direction the fabric has come from. The fabric will move through the rings with much greater ease.
- Spread the gathered fabric at the rings, over your shoulder. In spreading the fabric, it moves the gathers away from your neck, thin increases comfort. It creates an axis between your shoulder and the pouch where baby is seated, creating balance.
- These tips aren't an exclusive or exhaustive list - if you have a system or method that works for you (obviously, safely ;-) ), then great!
- Ring slings can offer more than just a hip carry - there are many carrying options with a ring sling. In the photos below, we have a full front carry, a hip carry and a hip carry with a shoulder flip rings at the back.
This guide really shows how easy and versatile ring slings can be. Just a little technique and practice and you’ll be doing it as if it’s second nature.
Best Ring Slings to Buy
If you're considering a ring sling as a carrying option then yay! We stock the very best ring slings online and in our boutique store.
Our best selling ring slings for many years are Didymos Didyslings.
The Didysling is one of our most enduring popular ring slings. It works with your little one from early baby & newborn to 2 years plus, easily. It's made with GOTS Certified Organic cotton and we have over 50 different designs in stock.
Little Frog Ring Slings
If you’re looking for a ring sling that’s more budget-friendly, then we always recommend Little Frog!
We love these ring slings. Not only are they amazing value, they are just gorgeous.
Whether you’re looking for subtle tones or a sparkling rainbow, you’ll find it right here!
Ring slingsare a great way to carry your baby, and they can be especially useful with older babies and toddlers who are at the 'up and down' stage. They are very quick and easy to place baby in and out of the ring sling, and they fold up nice and neat so can be carried with you. You can buy a ring sling here.
I hope you found this article helpful. Please get in touch or email me - firstname.lastname@example.org - if you'd like any further info or just a chat about ring slings and how to use them, babywearing in general, or advice on any other products at all.