Babywearing in Summer - 8 Top Tips For Staying Safe & Cool
by Beth Beaney, Executive Babywearing Consultant at LTBN
So the weather is getting warmer and summer weather is here (fingers crossed, right?!). In the heat, it's hard not to 'glow' (my French teacher once chastised me for using the term sweat - she would always say 'pigs sweat, men perspire & woman glow').
Glowing or not, I freely admit to being a complete and utter sweaty bundle when it's warm - and when carrying babies in slings, you get to carry another little sweaty bundle too!
Babies can become fractious in the heat (as can you!) - watch for these cues, take a break and cool down.
But there are a few things you can do to stay as comfortable as possible when babywearing in summer, which I have summarised in the handy infographic below. There are also some carriers that are more suited to carrying in hot weather, which you can read about in our new article.
8 Top Tips For Staying Safe & Cool Babywearing in Summer
- Drink or feed often, both of you.
- Stay out of the sun if you can, especially at midday.
- Cover extremities with a wide-brimmed hat or parasol.
- Wear light, neutral coloured clothing made from natural fibres as these are the most breathable.
- Remember that a sling is like a layer of clothing, so adjust what you're wearing accordingly, but make sure you're still covered up.
- Use a muslin cloth between you and baby to soak up any excess sweat.
- Babies can become fractious in the heat (as can you!) - watch for these cues, take a break and cool down.
- Use sunblock where appropriate.
Remember that a sling is like a layer of clothing, so adjust what you're wearing accordingly, but make sure you're still covered up.
The Best Baby Carriers & Slings For Summer
Our babywearing experts have hand-picked the best baby carriers for summer to help you choose a summer infant baby carrier and you can read all about them in our new blog post here.
In general, baby carriers that work well in summer and / or warmer weather generally speaking fall into 2 categories:
- those that are lighter / less structured, and therefore naturally cooler in themselves, and;
- those that have been specifically designed for babywearing in warmer weather (using a mesh fabric for the main panel, for example).
With options ranging from carriers that have special mesh panels to keep you cool, such as the Love and Carry ONE and the Love Radius Physiocarrier, and carriers that are in themselves smaller, lightweight and have a small form factor such as the Marsupi Breeze and the Minimonkey Mini Sling, there is plenty to choose from so that both you and baby are as comfortable and cool as possible, regardless of the weather.
Things to Think About When Babywearing In Summer
Be mindful of signs of overheating in your baby, such as sweating, redness, and fussiness. If you notice any of these signs, take a break, find some shade and cool down.
It goes without saying that it can take a little bit of extra thought and effort when and choosing the right baby carrier can make all the difference.
Babywearing in the summer is an amazing way way to bond with your baby while enjoying the outdoors. By following these tips, you can ensure that both you and your baby stay safe and comfortable, all summer long!
I hope you found this article helpful. Please get in touch or email me - email@example.com - if you'd like any further info on babywearing in summer and when it's warm, babywearing in general, or advice on any products at all.